Tuesday, August 08, 2006

One Nite @ Stand

Time: Friday 13th Apr 2007 1:37:45 am

Don’t even think about it, this ain’t on the similar lines like my previous blog. I know a post is due for a long time and the regulars (by that I mean the ones who frequent my blog space) list must have shrunk ………. But hey, it takes time for the experiences to thaw… to be more precise it takes time to experience something worth publishing here.

Well, lemme relinquish the excuses and continue …..

Time: Friday 13th Apr 2007 10:30:00 pm

This Friday I hit the lounge again. What was supposed to be a celebration for my friend's engagement, resulted into a ‘Lets have a drink to forget it’ melodrama. To top it all, I met a number of my friends who had tagged along with different groups in the same lounge. The evening started rocking as never before and after a pint, my cell screamed intimidating of a SMS arrival.

Temp = Time
Time = Time – 1 hour == 9:00pm


I put the car in fifth gear and increased the volume to step up my momentum and crazy frog shrilled in my ears.
‘Alkuuuuuuuuu, heyyyyyy, whatz up’

‘Hi AB, what are you doing?’
‘It is Friday nite lady, the weekend starts today, heading to Apache to meet few of my buddies’
‘I thought as much, well I had an offer for you but now that you are already game, might as well let it go’
‘Offer, huh? Try me …’
‘Well I was thinking if you could meet us and we can catch a movie and then you can drop us to Shivaji Nagar where we can catch a bus to A’bad’
‘You need to watch a movie before catching a bus? Thatz weird ..And who are these us?’
‘Well I am with my friend here and we both decided to go back home at eleventh hour. Now it is pretty risky to be there at such wee hours, so I was thinking if you could give us company till we board the bus?’
‘Mebbe you both can catch the movie and I will meet you after that, does it sounds workable?’
‘Yeah thatz fine, I will text you the movie timings and you can come accordingly’
‘Don’t you think it will be more risky to be with a guy who is just out of a lounge high on music?’
‘AB, you are the last guy I will be scared of’

Dunno whether that was a compliment of a sarcastic remark, nonetheless I am least interested reasoning out statements when I head to the lounge.

Time = temp

The SMS read ‘mu v : the shooter. v ll b out by 1:00. meet u by 1:15’. Shoot, I had expected them to catch a movie that would finish by 12:30am. That was the reason I even changed my plan to hang around in the lounge for an hour and half max. Well there were lot of my friends already in there and we decided to continue till the owner drove us out. I text back asking these two weirdos to come out by 12:30 so that I could drop them at the station and they could manage to get the 1:00am bus.

Time = 12:30am

Now there are two things I wanna make clear for the gals; first, “If you want a guy to behave like a gentleman, then even you ought to behave like a lady; not like some weirdo or ‘I know everything’ kinda gal and second, “When someone comes alone to pick you up in a car, you need to occupy the seat next to him/her, you don’t scramble into the rear seat.”

Man …….. and people expect me to be a gentleman …….. balls, I dunno wanna be one.

We reached the bus stand and I was zapped to see the crowd. There were so many travellers … so many of them; similar to ants near an anthill or prawns in a shrimp farm. We scuttled through the crowd and ST’s to reach the A’bad bus terminal. Juxtaposed between other terminals, which were under construction, this looked the best. So many people …. some with small hand bags, others with haversacks; some with their families, others with their friends or all alone. We stood amidst all of them, the gals nonchalantly waiting for the bus and running unit test cases on the nearby weighing machine intermittently.

The 1:15am arrived at the exactly 20 mins before departure time. The cacoethes that followed left me stumped. People were trying to get inside the bus through all possible vents; leave aside the door, which was clogged by salad of arms, heads, shoulders, bags, sweat and what not. The conductor continuously shouted of the 12 odd seats which were reserved, but the hyper chose to act deaf and the madness continued with some dropping kerchiefs onto the seat from the windows while few other trying to scramble in from the drivers seat to catch vacant seats; a complete pandemonium with babies crying in their parents arms and they struggled to get aboard

The gals smiled away to glory reading the expression on my face. ‘Welcome to the world of survival of the fittest’ was the message I could make out from what they were speaking.

“This is the way it is AB, we have to go through these hassle” she snorted as if to say “You have the luxury of not experiencing what we have to”

It left me thinking …. Even I have been through such experiences. I distinctly remember that nite when Nil and I were left stranded at Panvel bus depot for two full hours before we got a bus to Pune. It was a nightmare journey as there wasn’t a single part of the bus that did not make noise. Thanks to the rains, the roads were so smooth and the driver was more than determined not to miss any of the potholes. But I learnt something from this experience as I always do. I follow a simple philosophy, you always have to keep the learning eye open under any circumstances; pleasant or not; good or bad.

Time = 1:37:45 am

I have had my share of terrible travels and experiences and they have motivated me not to accept them as they come but to grow above them. An inspiration I derive after such events to do better in life; to climb up the ladder; to succeed. I wouldn’t be proud to tell anyone that look at the pains that I go through; rather I would appreciate myself when I rise above it.

That nite as I headed back in my car, I had mixed feelings. Whether I was right to feel contempt towards the life that I saw at the stand; whether I was right to smile knowing I wasn’t one of them; whether I was right to reason that I deserved the luxuries that I enjoy; whether I was right not to feel complacent with till date achievements; whether I was right to have ‘I want more’ attitude to life. One nite @ stand, one nite @ so many thoughts and the ride to my home was one of the best drives I have had with myself .......

9 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. can i get the Phone number.. of ur A"bad girl... i hope i can hv a better 1 night stand.....

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely!! You definitely learn from all situations. But Then You should have travelled by ST before travelling by car to appreciate your own growth!!!! Likewise...you need many such experiences about 'so called difficult' situations or failures..to aim and work towards a better situation!!!

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bhide..pudhcha blog marathit lihi... google translator tool wapar!!!

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I wouldn’t be proud to tell anyone that look at the pains that I go through; rather I would appreciate myself when I rise above it."

Really like this one. And I also share the same thought :-)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I think life is a great leveller and knowing the same is rising above the pains. Mr MIM (Gaurav) if I am not wrong, I like the statement dude!

Good blog Amey!

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sahi re bhidu ! badhiya !

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Alpana Kulkarni said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Alpana Kulkarni said...

Mr. AB,

Here I m, reading this post after 10 days – I wanted to be the first one to comment on this… Many things were there. Shifting to Bombay and getting settled in the new job that I couldn’t manage to surf…. L Neways, not an issue.

To behave like a lady : Hmmmm…. Dear Mr. Gentle AB – There were 2 ladies and one seat beside u. If one lady had sat beside u, then would it have looked good on her own part? Its better if somebody asks for it by his own being gentle and asking to come and accompany him. Isn’t it? It was ur call to ask one of us to sit beside u. Don’t u think so? I was actually waiting for u to say something.

Well weighing machine was a good time pass though – isn’t it? I learnt that day that I have put on 3 Kgs…. Man it was too hard for me to digest!!!

Well what I meant to say was not something like u have the luxury of not experiencing what we have to. I wanted to say that – this is what the real life is. Its not particularly me and u. It was in general – may be India as a whole or Life as a whole or being poor as a whole. It was not personal comment. You misinterpreted.

Yes, that’s true. Not only you but also no one else will be proud to show the pain but rather to go ahead and rise above it. I too have learnt from these hard-core experiences. But you know what AB – even in these hard experiences there is the life...Life of pain, suffering and then the zeal to rise. It’s a journey that rejuvenates u.

So to all those whether questions, what was the answer you received? I would have liked to read it.

I never felt contempt towards that life ( I have had experienced that life and sometimes still I experience it.) But rather I have respect for it. Respect because it has given me all sorts of experiences and taught me the meaning of life. Respect because it has generated the zeal in me to rise. So I feel complacent not because of my achievements but for that journey through which I came…Complacent because I can survive during those situations again if life shows downs. Complacent that I have risen above that patch or hurdle and ambitious to achieve more than what I am/ I have – every time without being satisfied.

And this was half a part of the story. Then we got the bus. But it was all full. We got only one seat so Ashwini sat there and I preferred to sit in a cabin with driver on that particular hot machine box. It was fun!! I couldn’t sleep that night but then driver and I discussed so many things!! And I actually understood how hard it is for the driver to drive after its rained!!!

But AB you really behaved like a gentleman that day – Thanks for all your help and moral support. And especially when you were actually carrying our luggage up to the stand – well that was amazing ( u were looking so very cute!! ;-) ). I came to know that AB first time n really felt deep respect for the one who is there in u. Thanks buddy for being so nice that day!!! Lets do it sometime again!! ;-) what say?

Alku

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Amey Bhide said...

No way ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home