Saturday, December 19, 2009

New Moon ... Old Adage

Wifey reminded me that one of the long pending item on our entertainment list was watching a movie. "Yes", I agreed, it had been months that we watched any movie, one of the reason being there weren't any movies worth watching ! Call it 'Movies ke tasavvur main kangali ka daur chal raha hai .... Jab hollywood/bollywood wale acchi movies bana hi nahi rahe, to hum kya dekhenge?' Earlier we used to watch atleast three movies a month .... but now, I am unable to remember anything before 2012 (the movie I mean !)

Anyways, a protocol is a protocol and once married, wife wish becomes da husbands command. I came home early and walked up to the nearby ticket point centre. I had a choice between four films; Avataar, New Moon, Paa and Rocket Singh. Avataar was a No-No. If sci-fi is not enough for my wife to freak out, then 3D definitely is. She says watching 3D film with those pathetic glares is as good as having a sneak preview through cracks in the fence. Avataar being strictly 3-D, meant an additional 300 bucks (150 per head) of deposit at the counter for those scratched glares from which 200 would be returned provided the glares are given back without any damages/scratches. Our director or VP should be made aware of such clandestine propaganda by the entertainment industry to suck money from people living in a sucked economy. Arrrgh .... I don't want mucky looking blue aliens .... appraisal would be better !

Not sure what happened to Paa (again, I mean the movie), but they cancelled all shows after 8:15pm. I think Paa was tired, exhausted and so they gave him his much needed rest. Rocket Singh was removed from the list after I talked to one of my friend who knew my taste for films. The left me no choice other than "The Twilight Saga 2 : New Moon' ... the name tempted me in believing that it would be a good venture.

New moon started off on a quiet note, C Major .... I presumed this to be the build up for something more thrilling and adventurous. The muffled dialogues continued and we strained our ears to comprehend the happenings on screen. Occasional adrenaline boosting events were palliated to tranquillity by dead pauses and lazy background orchestration of strings and base. I tried to reason out with each one of the characters; be it inordinate and confused human or the bloody hungry good and bad vampire or the protector and killer Werewolf, but in vain. The movie seemed like Thane - Pune train shuttle stopping at all stations ... in that it progressed at a very slow and steady pace occassionally interrupted by abrupt dreams, conversations, near kiss escapades, somber symphonies in G sus4 or Bb (B flat) aug (augmented) 9, and dead pauses ...... I got so engrossed that I yearned to see the unconventional end as it is with most of the hollywood movies.

Well .... I was disappointed. After enduring 3 hours of intricate chording, muted dialogues and still photography along with lot of weeping ... the end was conventional without any melodrama. As we got to leave, I met couple of colleagues from my company.

"Were you sleeping through the movie?", asked one, " We called your name so many times and you didn't even return a look ..."
"I was engrossed ....", I replied

They were awestruck. How can I be engrossed into a movie like this? Well, I was waiting to fully understand the gist or the central theme of the movie. When it struck, the fuse in my head blew.

The plot is simple .... metaphorical comparison might yield vanilla ice cream. Girl loves boy. Boy loves girl. Why the hell do you care for who is human, who is a werewolf and who is vampire. Vampire boy thinks .... thinks ..... and thinks some more. Brother is getting into adulthood (adulthood for vampires means thirst for blood ) .... says to da girl ... I don't need you. The girl hooks up with some other hunk till the first one come back repenting. And then ... the girl dumps the new hunk and goes back to the old one because he utters the next 4 most wanted words after uttering the 3 magical words ! I love you is usually followed by 'WILL YOU MARRY ME?' As simple as that ..... Old adage holds true in contemporary times too !

5 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Gauri said...

Dude!!! Avatar is a better choice over Twilight!!!! Wifey would have definitely enjoyed it more!!! And 300 bucks is nothing for a richie rich like you!!!!

Atleast Paa would have been more entertaining than Twilight!!!

Watch Up in the Air!!! George Clooney is a good actor. Or maybe watch 3 idiots!!!

Disclaimer :) -- Besides Up in the Air, I ahven't watched any of the others.
My opinion is based on Peer reviews!!!

Will Watch 3 idiots tonight. Will watch Avatar in 3D maybe in 2 weeks, when the mad rush at theaters reduces!!! Will watch Paa and Twilight later when released on DVD!! But after watching Twilight 1, I'm not so keen about any future Twilight movies!!!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger pk said...

Ab kya comment likhu isme!! :P
First I was totally taken aback by the fact that you chose this movie for a review!!
When we met at the movie hall, I could see that you were impressed with the movie [;)] Lekin itna impressed! :P i wasnt able to gauge THAT! :P
Coming to the movie,it was kind of a funny movie for me in the sense that I was told that this is a horror movie :P And when I looked at the vampire bf, I kinda believed that it was one.[Arre he was sooooooooooooooooooo ghostly white!!! ]
All through the movie I was waiting ki probably now someone will fly from somewhere or kill someone!!But these vampires were juz too calm and composed! :P

The plot sure was engrossing for me (as I was waiting for some horror sequence to follow!!! hehe)

But 3 IDIOTS totally floored me! MUST watch...takes you back into your college days!!! Al memories come alive...Abhi next blog uspe likho aap! :D

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Mrunal said...

Hi Amey,

Are yaar! I cant believe that you went to watch a sequel for a movie and that too without reading the corresponding book!

I am an avid Twilight fan and nilesh can vouch for that. I mean since the time I have laid my hands on those four books, I have read them over . and over and over again( still cant get enuf of them hihihi:-))
But coming back to New Moon, even after loving the book through and through I still didnt dare go for the movie..
Why? Simple enuf a reason.. The book itself was too melodramatic. While the first one, i.e. Twilight was mellow and was jst start off of the romance, New Moon is just filled with the pain so much so that you cant bear if after a while. The author infact has left blank pages to accentuate the fact that the lead character jst lost herself in the grief. So well who wud want to see how they project that in a movie!! pst pst!!
Avataar or Three Idiots was any day a better option..
BTW/ when r u coming home ??

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are basically a thief and deceiver Amey. And i dont feel good writing this. You are far too jealous and u r ready to bring people down anyway possible. And it doesnt matter whether they are friends or not. u r ready to take a small crack and break people down for no reason at all actually. If the person is much better than you than u do anything possible to deceive him. you are a worthless chap Mr. Bhide and it hasnt been good knowing you. Though of course u wont change....u'll find new ways to cover things up.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Amey Bhide said...

@Anonymous

Why publish a comment as anonymous? If you have problems, talk to me and sort it out. Doesn't make any sense putting such "out of context comment" on my blogs.

Grow up ! Waiting to hear from you.

-Amey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home